Saturday, October 31, 2009

Jim Mohr Update 10-31-09

I know that my thousands of visitors have been wondering what I have been up to in the last week. Well, you may think I have been slacking, but there are a lot of things going on in webmaster world.

The first thing I have accomplished is, as of today, I have lost 18 pounds. I started a diet September 1, 2009. There were not really any health problems that sparked me to get with it other than my knee, which has been diagnosed as a "bone bruise". Maybe the weight loss will take a bit of stress off the knee. I started out at a portly 226.2, and just cutting out a few things like the Chinese Buffet and Pizza, in 2 months the weight has been slowly coming off. I am shooting for around 195, or at least less than 200 pounds.

Ok, enough with the fat stuff and on to webmaster land. The most fun thing of all I have been working on is opening an online T-shirt store at Spreadsirt.com. It is a free T-shirt designing website that lets anyone open an online apparel store. They have a set price for their merchandise, and you add a couple dollars markup profit that you get to keep. They do all the printing and shipping. I don't know if it will pan out to make any money, but I have always been a bit off-center, and this is a great way to display some of my half witted sarcastic humor. You can see my (caution; rated PG) online T-shirt store at http://doublex.spreadshirt.com/.

I was also offered a flat-fee referral bounty for sending people that want to build a free website to WebStarts.com. I cannot disclose the exact amount, but they used to pay just if someone upgraded from a free website to a paid site. The deal was I had to promote them a bit heavier from my website http://buildfree.org/, which is right now #5 in a Google search for "build a free website". All I can say is that after moving them up the referral list, it looks like it will pan out to be about $1000 a month! That will come in handy since Microsoft fired all it's referral affiliates in July of 2009. (that was like a $1500 a month pay cut!)

I have also updated the "Random Game Widget" to include over 400 games! Just when I had my system smoothed out BigFishGames, removed around 100 games from their online game library. I had to go through and remove the games manually from the script. Here it is again below;

I can track the traffic to the Random Game Widget, but it doesn't seem to have made a big difference in revenue. Sometimes that is how it is for webmaster ideas, you may spend a hundred hours doing something that seems brilliant. Then you may or may not see results. What I need is 100's of people to put the widget on their websites and blogs and it can hopefully pyramid into the positive. I built a page promoting the Random Game Widget HERE.

On the lighter side, I am updating the Ipod (and Dell Mp3 player) to include a few new songs. I like to burn a CD with my newest songs, then upload them to the computer again so I don't have to deal with monthly fees and licensing. I went through tat and all I have to say is Yahoo sucks!
Thanks to my brother Jerry, I have quite an eclectic music library and I added the following songs:
  • "Hey There Delilah", and "1, 2, 3, 4" from the "Big Bad World" CD (Plain White T's)
  • "(Stuck In) Indianapolis" from the "24 Hours A Day" CD (The Bottle Rockets) also worth noting on this CD is "When I Was Dumb", but I already had it.
  • "Pretty (Ugly Before)" from the "Basement On The Hill" CD (Elliot Smith)
  • "Lookin' For A Job" from the "The Devil You Know" CD (Todd Snider)
  • "Around The Bend" from the "Fruit" CD (The Asteroids Galaxy Tour)
  • "Losin' You" from the "Honey From The Tombs" CD (Amy Millan)
  • "Too Much Love" from the "Best Of Bread" CD (Bread)
  • "1959" and "I Wish I Could Have Been There" from the "Anthology" CD (John Anderson"
  • "Nine Million Bicycles" from the "Piece By Piece" CD (Katie Melua)
  • "Virginia, No One Can Warn You" from the "Bramble Rose" CD (Tift Merritt)
  • "I'm Just A Girl" and "Don't Speak" from the "The Singles 1992-2003" (No Doubt)
  • "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" and "Battleship Chains" from the "Georgia Satellites" CD (Georgia Satellites)

Some of these I had before with my Yahoo Music Subscription (did mention they suck?), but all of a sudden I couldn't log in, and the worthless tech support couldn't help. In 30 days all the the songs' licensing ran out and all the songs on my mp3 player quit playing.

Let's just say now "If you can stream it, you can record it"

No comments: