Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The War Is On...

Ok, here is an ant update. The good news is we are really only seeing an occasional indoor ant visiting the ant bait hotel in the bathroom. There seemed to be 3 waves so far. There would be none, then 20 - 30 ants, then none, then several and now none (almost) again for the last couple days. I think I have identified them as "pavement ants", or "littlus basturdus" for you entomologists.
But while mowing the yard, I saw these at the end of the driveway about 20 feet from the house at the end of the driveway. I guess I should have shot a photo while they were still alive, but I panicked and went and got the bug spray and killed them with Ted Bundy frenzy. There were like 10 times as many as seen in the photo.

Step 1: Broadcast spread Spectracide over the entire lawn. Kills on contact... YEAH!


Step 2 and 3: Spray the Bayer advanced liquid and create a 1 - 2 foot perimeter all the way around the home. Use the Amdro ant block (bait) in the shrub beds and around any visible ant mounds.












And just for a backup plan, Roach Ridd, which is boric acid and is deadly to ants. This is unproven, because I had this last fall and all I had was white powder coated ants in the driveway (but at least not in the house). And Diazinon which I already had too. I am not even sure you can still buy it still. Turf Ranger granules which also last year just seemed to be an expensive ant food.
And of course... more ant bait hotels!

It's getting expensive, but I am sure there will be an Obama ant war bailout.

1 comment:

One Reader said...

he, he, he powder coated ants. At least if any roaches ate them, they'de die.